POWERBOAT TRAINING EXPECTATIONS – EQUITY – YOUR SAFETY
What the Course Entails
The practical work component involves driving boats at varied speeds, and the normal physical activity associated with climbing in and out of boats.
If you have a physical limitation that may preclude you from the practical work or a condition or injury that may be aggravated by practical boat work please advise us so exercises can be modified if necessary.
In all practical work, a briefing and demonstration will precede the requirement for you to practice and demonstrate any given exercise.
You are entitled to be treated fairly and equally as a student on this course. Any conduct that you are unhappy with whether it is from the instructor or fellow students should be raised at the first opportunity so it may be addressed.
You are reminded that on board you must:
- HOLD ON at all times.
- PFD 1 (Life Jackets) flotation aids MUST BE WORN AT ALL TIMES ON THE JETTY, PIER, MARINA AND THE BOAT.
- Keep hands, fingers, and legs inside the boat at all times.
- Do Not Fend Off
- Do not jump from the boat onto the jetty and reverse.
What we expect from you
- You need to be properly clothed to protect themselves from the elements.
- Non slip footwear (not thongs or bare feet) and shower proof jackets are recommended.
- Care should be taken to minimise sun exposure (eyes and skin) and to hydrate in warm weather. Water accessible and sunscreen applied.
- A firm footing and handhold is necessary at all times.
- We have a strict “No alcohol or drugs” policy.
What we will be doing
- Overview of vessel – safety gear.
- Controls, Starting, Dead Man Switch, Manual throttle, Motor tilt,
- Driving – slow speed forward and reverse,
- Three point turn,
- Holding station,
- Approaching the dock and tying up,
- Departing the dock,
- 3 point turn.
- High speed figure of eight, *
- MOB demonstration. * * weather permitting
Indemnity for consideration
I understand that I would be participating in an activity with Peninsula Boat Training (PBT) that can sometimes be strenuous and undertake this training at my own risk. I would acknowledge that I will forwarded any concerns relating to my ability for this session to the staff member. I would acknowledge that if using my own vessel it is insured and in a seaworthy condition with all required safety equipment on board and in working order, and take full responsibility for any damage or occurrence that may be a result from the condition or performance of my craft.