boat license

Report a marine incident

What to do if you are an owner/master of a recreational vessel involved in a marine incident.

Always call triple zero (000) if you are involved in or witness an emergency.

If an incident has occurred but you are not in immediate danger, report it to Victoria Police on 1800 135 729.

Where death or injury occurs, or damage to property and the property owner is not present, report the incident details as soon as possible to the police officers present or to the police station nearest to where the accident took place.

Vessel operators involved in an accident must give assistance to other persons involved, without endangering their own vessel, crew or passengers.

They must give their name, address, identification and registration details to (where applicable) any person injured, his or her representative, to the owner of any property damaged and to the police present at the scene.

Refer to safety duties for further information about reporting incidents.

Submit the completed form, along with any supporting documents as required, to:

Email: [email protected]

Postal address PO Box 2392, Melbourne VIC 3001

We use the data we collect from vessel operators to monitor trends and safety risks on Victorian waters.